Date and Coconut RouladeMum’s infamous ‘Khajur Roll’ recipe with an added chocolate twist from me! I can remember this delicious, guilt free sweet being served up at family parties from ever since I was tiny – everybody loved it as it contained no added sugar or fat, just an intense amount of flavourful dried fruit and nuts. It’s such a versatile recipe – not only can you substitute in any type of nut you like but it can also be made with most varieties of dried fruits or even extracts. Here, in true Devnaa form, I’ve added some dark chocolate to complement the fruitiness of the dates.
Ingredients:250g Dried, Pitted Dates
3 tblsp Ground Pistachio Nuts (coarse)
3 tblsp Ground Almonds (coarse)
2 tblsp Roughly Chopped Dark Chocolate
5 tblsp Desiccated Coconut
- Crumble the dates into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute to 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the dates are soft enough to mash.
- Mash with the back of a spoon.
- Beat in the nuts followed by the chocolate.
- Lay a sheet of cling film on your work surface and turn the date mixture out on top.
- Sprinkle the coconut on top.
- Use the cling film to help you carefully roll the mixture into a tight roulade – start from either the right or left edge and slowly wrap the mixture over and around itself.
- Wrap the roulade tightly in the cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Cut the roulade into 1cm slices.
- Garnish with more coconut if desired and serve at room temperature.